In Emacs, columns are called rectangles.
- C-x r r
- Copy rectangle to region.
- C-x r i
- Insert region.
- C-x r k
- Kill the text of the region-rectangle, saving its contents as the “last killed rectangle” (kill-rectangle).
- C-x r d
- Delete the text of the region-rectangle (delete-rectangle).
- C-x r y
- Yank the last killed rectangle with its upper left corner at point (yank-rectangle).
- C-x r o
- Insert blank space to fill the space of the region-rectangle (open-rectangle). This pushes the previous contents of the region-rectangle rightward.
C-x r c
- Clear the region-rectangle by replacing all of its contents with spaces (clear-rectangle).
- M-x delete-whitespace-rectangle
- Delete whitespace in each of the lines on the specified rectangle, starting from the left edge column of the rectangle.
- C-x r t string
- Replace rectangle contents with string on each line (string-rectangle).
- M-x string-insert-rectangle
- Insert string on each line of the rectangle.